Discovering new places, staying for free in unique accommodations, taking care of pets, having new experiences and at the same time doing a favor to others… Here, among us travelers, we can name it: it’s about House Sitting. The perfect match for two parties, a win-win situation. In this article, we’ll discuss what house sitting is and how to start house sitting.
What is House Sitting?
House sitting involves taking care of someone’s home and pets while they are away. The homeowner provides the house sitter with free accommodation in exchange for their services. The house sitter’s duties may include taking care of the pets, maintaining the garden, and keeping the house clean and tidy.
House sitting is a fantastic way to travel and explore new destinations without the high costs of accommodation. It’s also an excellent opportunity to experience different cultures and lifestyles, stay in a different surrounding, while providing a valuable service to homeowners.
How to Start House Sitting
One thing at a time. Here we have created for you a step by step guide on how to start house sitting:
Create a profile: The first step to start house sitting is to create a profile on a house sitting website. You can find some links in the ende of this article. There are many reputable websites such as TrustedHousesitters, Nomador, and MindMyHouse that connect homeowners with house sitters. Your profile should showcase your experience with pets and any other relevant skills that you may have.
Get references: Having references from previous house sitting assignments or pet-sitting jobs will increase your chances of getting selected for a house sitting assignment. If you don’t have any references, consider offering your services to friends and family to build up your experience.
Apply for house sitting assignments: Once you have a profile and references, you can start applying for house sitting assignments. Look for assignments that match your skills and experience. Make sure to read the homeowner’s requirements carefully and tailor your application to show that you are a good fit for the assignment.
Be flexible: Being flexible is key to finding house sitting assignments. Homeowners may have specific dates or requirements, so being open to different opportunities will increase your chances of finding an assignment.
Communicate effectively: Clear communication is crucial when house sitting. Make sure to discuss the homeowner’s expectations before accepting an assignment. Establish clear lines of communication, so the homeowner can contact you if they need to. Likewise the other way around. If you have questions, you also know where to contact or who can help you.
Take care of the pets: Taking care of the pets is the most important part of house sitting. Make sure you understand their routine and follow any instructions the homeowner provides. Give them plenty of love and attention, and keep them safe and healthy.
Advantages of House Sitting
House sitting comes with many advantages, making it a popular choice for travelers looking for unique and affordable accommodation options. Here are some of the biggest advantages of house sitting:
- Free accommodation: The most significant advantage of house sitting is that you get free accommodation in exchange for your services. This can save you a lot of money on accommodation costs, which can be especially helpful if you’re traveling on a tight budget.
- Opportunity to explore new destinations: House sitting allows you to explore new destinations and experience different cultures and lifestyles. You can choose assignments in locations that you’ve always wanted to visit, giving you the chance to see the world in a unique way.
- Opportunity to live like a local: House sitting provides an opportunity to live like a local, experiencing the destination from a resident’s perspective. You can immerse yourself in the local culture and customs, which can be a very enriching experience.
- Pet company: Many house sitting assignments involve taking care of pets, which can be a great source of company and comfort. It’s also an excellent opportunity to spend time with different animals and learn about their unique personalities and habits.
- Reduced travel costs: As well as free accommodation, house sitting can also reduce your travel costs in other ways. For example, you can save money on eating out by cooking your meals at home, and you don’t have to worry about paying for laundry services.
- Trusted environment: House sitting provides homeowners with peace of mind while they are away, knowing that their home and pets are being taken care of. As a house sitter, you are part of a trusted environment where you are expected to respect the homeowner’s property and follow their instructions.
Start House Sitting
House sitting is an excellent way to travel and have a unique experience while taking care of someone’s home and pets. To start house sitting, create a profile on a reputable house sitting website, get references, apply for assignments, be flexible, communicate effectively, and take care of the pets. Follow these tips, and you’ll be on your way to becoming a successful house sitter
Here are some links to house sitting plattforms:
This could be intresting for you as well:
- Couchsurfing – Tips & Tricks
- Digital Nomad Backpacking: Exploring the World While Working Remotely
- Countries with Easy Digital Nomad Visas
Take the hassle out of planning your digital nomad journey with Lambus! Lambus is the ultimate platform for remote workers and everyone who like to travel the world!